Where to get your 2020 flu vaccination
Flu shots are funded by the Government for the groups below – you will not need to pay for your vaccination or appointment. Please call your local clinic to see if Government funded vaccines are in stock:
- all children from 6 months to less than 5 years of age
- all adults aged 65 years and older
- pregnant women
- all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people aged 6 months and over
- individuals aged 6 months and older with medical conditions which increase the risk of influenza disease complications
Private Vaccines in Stock: $14.95 plus bulk billed appointment
If you do not fall into the categories above, you will need to get a Private Flu shots. These are in stock at the clinics below for $14.95 and your vaccination appointment will be bulk billed if it’s during standard business hours for Medicare Card holders:
- Mango Hill: Ph: (07) 3177 9520
- Annerley: Ph: (07) 3848 9299
- Carseldine: Ph: (07) 3177 9510
- Toowong: Ph: (07) 3371 5666
- Pullenvale Ph: (07) 3107 8050
- Ferny Grove Ph: (07) 3351 5111
- Brisbane City: Ph: (07) 3236 2559
- Annandale Ph: (07) 4766 9540
- Merrimac Gold Coast: Ph: (07) 5525 1222
- Clayfield – limited stock – Ph: 07 3268 1937
- The Gap Ph: (07) 3300 3799
- Walton Bridge (Waterworks Rd) Ph: (07) 3300 1900
- Manunda: Ph: (07) 4053 2255
- Taigum: Ph: (07) 3265 4555
- Deception Bay Ph: (07) 3204 7140
- West End Ph: (07) 3844 4111
- Windsor Ph: (07) 3857 2222
- Ipswich Ph: (07) 3202 2000
- Arundel Ph: (07) 5574 5144
- Annerley Ph: (07) 3848 9299
Are you currently experiencing flu-like symptoms?
LOCATED IN BRISBANE SOUTHSIDE & CAIRNS, WE OFFER FREE COVID-19 ASSESSMENTS AND TESTS.
Our Respiratory Clinics are specialised Health Centres which cater specifically for patients who have respiratory illness or flu symptoms, or have been referred by their GP for a COVID-19 assessment or test. You can self-refer, or your GP may refer you to this clinic for assessment, rather than undergoing the test at your regular medical centre, as a way to help to reduce the potential spread of the virus and not overcrowd our emergency departments. However, if you are experiencing severe symptoms, call 000 for an ambulance.
How do I book?
- Walk-in appointments are not permitted.
- Appointments can be made online via HotDoc or phoning the clinic on 1300 411 748 during business hours. You will then be provided with a link to complete your registration form.
- What to expect at your appointment: read more about this Specialised Facility here.
I received a flu shot in 2019, do I still need to get a 2020 flu shot?
Yes. The strains of flu virus can change from year to year. The vaccine may also change to protect against the most recent flu virus strains. Even if the flu strains do not change, a yearly vaccine for influenza is still recommended, as immunity from flu vaccination is not long lasting.
It is also highly contagious, so you could pass it on to someone at risk. The Flu is potentially a life-threatening illness for the young, frail and the aged.
What’s the benefit of having a flu vaccination performed in a medical centre rather than a Chemist?
It is good medicine that you have your yearly flu shot administered at your GP practice as they have your medical history, can keep a record of your vaccinations and discuss any medical concerns with you in a private setting.
What are the most common symptoms of the flu?
Symptoms may occur 1 to 3 days after infection, and generally seem like the ‘common cold’. Typical flu symptoms could include:
- sneezing and runny nose;
- poor appetite; and
- muscle aches.
If you or your loved ones experience any of these symptoms this flu season, please see your doctor. Further health problems can develop in some people after flu infection including pneumonia, heart, blood system and liver complications, which can lead to death, especially in children and older people.